It takes an idiot to catch a thief.
Really? Does it really? This is a completely stupid line but... it does lead to an amusing proof. Bear with me...
- Sir Ian Blair is the top policeman in the Metropolitan Police.
- To be the top policeman, he must be the best at catching criminals.
- Thieves are criminals.
- It takes an idiot to catch a thief, and thus it must take an exceptional idiot to catch many of them.
- Sir Ian Blair must have caught many thieves; in fact, he must be the best in the whole of the Met. at catching thieves.
- Therefore, Sir Ian Blair is the biggest idiot in the Met.
quod erat demonstrandum
You heard it here first, folks...