Yes, Apple have, ahead of schedule and against some commentators' predictions, released the first Macs with Intel chips.
The iMac and the MacBook Pro are both running Intel Dual Core chips which, whilst not boasting a particularly high clock speed, are claimed to boost speeds by up to four times. Part of this is down to the considerably higher bus speed and Express graphics systems.
I haven't had a chance to analyse them in detail yet, and I'm about to watch Steve Jobs's keynote speech; in about an hour, I will believe that black is white, Macs have never been better and that Steve is god.
I'll be back...
UPDATE: Black is white!
Some choice Jobs quotes from Wikiquote:
- The trouble with Microsoft is they have no taste. They have no taste and I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way.
- PBS documentary Triumph of the Nerds (1996)
- "We don't believe it's possible to protect digital content...What's new is this amazingly efficient distribution system for stolen property called the Internet -- and no one's gonna shut down the Internet. And it only takes one stolen copy to be on the Internet. And the way we expressed it to them is: Pick one lock -- open every door. It only takes one person to pick a lock. Worst case: Somebody just takes the analog outputs of their CD player and rerecords it -- puts it on the Internet. You'll never stop that. So what you have to do is compete with it."
- Source : Steve Jobs: The Rolling Stone Interview (December 2003)
- Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
- Source: Stanford Graduate Commencement address by Steve Jobs delivered on June 12, 2005.
Steve Jobs is god.