About half an hour ago, my broadband connection stopped working. No problem, I was just switching from Demon to Be. Why?
Demon has always been a reliable supplier and they were the first people that I ever used, when I connected my first employer to the internet, back in 1997. Their service is pretty good but, for £25 a month, I could get a faster supplier.
So, I looked at Be. I have been slightly wary of LLU suppliers since my father got TalkTalk's service (it's been pretty crap) but reasoned that the technology would settle down. A couple of weeks ago I ordered Be Unlimited: my modem arrived on Friday morning and the line has just switched. The switch has been very simple.
Using this Broadband Tester, I measured my Demon (supposedly) 8 Meg broadband at anywhere between 2.5Mbps and 5Mbps download, and never more than 230Kbps upload. Adequate, but hardly amazing.
Now, let's look at the speeds that I am getting with Be.
Now that's more like it. And it's costing me £7 a month less than Demon...