The Manhattan Declaration On Climate Change
Today, I ask a simple, but immensely serious, question: “Why has the UK media, in pretty well all its forms, failed to report ‘The Manhattan Declaration on Climate Change’, signed in New York on March 4, 2008?” The meeting at which the ‘Declaration’ was agreed [‘The 2008 International Conference on Climate Change’, March 2 - March 4] was attended by over 500 people (scientists, economists, policy makers, etc.), with over 100 speakers delivering keynote addresses, or participating in panel discussions. Sadly, I think we know the answer, and it is one that reflects very badly on our supine UK media [the only exception of note appears to be The Sunday Telegraph, March 9: ‘Climate dissent grows hotter as chill deepens’]. If ever evidence were needed of the dangerous ‘control’ of our media by pernicious grand narratives, then this is surely it.
Luckily, we bloggers can break the deafening silence.
Indeed we can, so here it is.
The Manhattan Declaration on Climate Change
‘Global warming’ is not a global crisis
We, the scientists and researchers in climate and related fields, economists, policymakers, and business leaders, assembled at Times Square, New York City, participating in the 2008 International Conference on Climate Change,
- Resolving that scientific questions should be evaluated solely by the scientific method;
- Affirming that global climate has always changed and always will, independent of the actions of humans, and that carbon dioxide (CO2) is not a pollutant but rather a necessity for all life;
- Recognising that the causes and extent of recently observed climatic change are the subject of intense debates in the climate science community and that oft-repeated assertions of a supposed ‘consensus’ among climate experts are false;
- Affirming that attempts by governments to legislate costly regulations on industry and individual citizens to encourage CO2 emission reduction will slow development while having no appreciable impact on the future trajectory of global climate change. Such policies will markedly diminish future prosperity and so reduce the ability of societies to adapt to inevitable climate change, thereby increasing, not decreasing, human suffering;
- Noting that warmer weather is generally less harmful to life on Earth than colder:
- That current plans to restrict anthropogenic CO2 emissions are a dangerous misallocation of intellectual capital and resources that should be dedicated to solving humanity's real and serious problems.
- That there is no convincing evidence that CO2 emissions from modern industrial activity has in the past, is now, or will in the future cause catastrophic climate change.
- That attempts by governments to inflict taxes and costly regulations on industry and individual citizens with the aim of reducing emissions of CO2 will pointlessly curtail the prosperity of the West and progress of developing nations without affecting climate.
- That adaptation as needed is massively more cost-effective than any attempted mitigation and that a focus on such mitigation will divert the attention and resources of governments away from addressing the real problems of their peoples.
- That human-caused climate change is not a global crisis.
Now, therefore, we recommend—
- That world leaders reject the views expressed by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change as well as popular, but misguided works such as An Inconvenient Truth.
- That all taxes, regulations, and other interventions intended to reduce emissions of CO2 be abandoned forthwith.
Agreed at New York, 4 March 2008.
That all seems pretty clear, doesn't it? Mind you, it is only what I and others have been saying for years (and there is more news coming to The Kitchen on that front soon).
It remains to be seen whether anyone will listen. The omens—in the form of the MSM's failure to even admit this exists—are not good. After all, if it turns out that we eeeevil deniers are right and CO2 emissions are nothing to worry about, then there are going to be an awful lot of alarmists with egg smeared all over their fat, lying faces. And a good many of those alarmists are members of the MSM and of government.
As such, we will be faced with the unedifying spectacle of governments the world over impoverishing their peoples with absolutely no justification whatso-fucking-ever...