When women are feeling a bit stressed or down or anxious, they tend to buy chocolate, or a dress. Or shoes.
Whereas I, for example, buy an extra 2GB of RAM for my Mac Pro (£82 from Crucial).
So, time taken to install it?
- I click Shut Down on my Mac as the clock flicks to 10.55 am. The Mac duly shuts down.
- I take the side door off, and then pull out the lower RAM riser board (Mac Pro RAM needs to be installed in matched pairs, by the way).
- With the riser board on my desk, I unwrap the (heat-sink equipped!) RAM chips from their anti-static packaging, and pop them into the slots.
- I then reinsert the riser board into the Mac and replace the side door.
- I take a breath, and then press the power button.
- Mac starts up and I have my email and browser windows open as the clock flicks to 11.00 am.
- I run a check and the Mac is seeing all 5GB of RAM. Hoorah!
That's pretty darn speedy, you have to admit.
And yes, I am a hardware geek. Or, at least, I am a good-looking-hardware geek. And a good-looking hardware geek...